This quick intro to whitewater rafting in Pagosa Springs is a great “Splash and Dash” trip for just testing the waters.
- Private Raft
Whitewater River Racing in Pagosa Springs!
Saturday, May 18th, 2019:
- Fun Runs/Surf and Carnage – 11-1 in Town Park
- Downriver Race Registration – 2:30 at Riff Raff on the Rio. 356 E Pagosa St, Pagosa Springs, CO 81147
- Race Starts – 4 Riff Raff on the Rio
- Awards Ceremony and Gear Auction- 6:30 Riff Raff on the Rio
To bring the excitement of whitewater racing to Pagosa Springs on a section of river all can enjoy by spectating and even racing!
Tim Brink of cORT has recently moved to the area from Oregon where he coordinated a team, a series, and a national whitewater racing organization.
But I don’t have a boat!
All are welcome! If you are new to river running or just don’t have a raft, Pagosa Outside will provide your team with a raft, guide, paddles, river gear and a shuttle for the downriver race! Team reservations with Pagosa Outside need to be made by 3 p.m. on Thursday, otherwise, availability will be on a limited first-come basis.
After you reserve a raft, register for the race – 2:30 at Riff Raff – then come to Pagosa Outside to get geared up and meet your guide. Shuttle vans will take you to the race start at Riff Raff and return you to Pagosa Outside after the race where you can change into dry clothes and see race photos.
Don’t have a team, but want to race? Drop your info with us and we will see if we can find spots and put teams together.
4 – Mass start downriver race classes include:
- Hardshell kayak, any length
- Inflatable kayak, any length
- Fun raft, any length, 2-7 paddlers
- Pro raft, any length, 4 paddlers. Pro teams register for free!
(“Pro” = your team has trained to race in the past, you may have race type gear such as boats and paddles, your team races together more than once a year, you may now or have been sponsored in the past, etc.)
- Oar boats, cats and/or rafts (single oarsman no paddle assist)
*Classes may change with significant interest (3 or more entries will make a new class).
- Afternoon race fee registration is separate.
- Race fees will be determined closer to the day of the event as we’re still looking for sponsors to keep the costs down for competitors.
At this time we have support from Riff Raff on the Rio, KEEN, Sawyer Paddles and Oars, Pagosa Mountain Sports, and Pagosa Outside, and Motel SOCO. If you are interested in supporting this event, please contact Tim at [email protected] or 503-830-0630.