Pagosa Springs Tubing
Tubing on the San Juan River in downtown Pagosa has become a “don’t miss” late summer activity. We are Pagosa’s river tubing headquarters offering rentals and the only shuttled tubing trips in town. Tubing season opens when the river drops below 400 cfs on the San Juan River Flow Gauge in Pagosa. Normally we start tubing in late June or early July but water levels can vary greatly depending on the weather and the amount of snow we have left in the mountains. Give us a call or check the gauge.
The Whitewater Tubing Trip:
“Get on the Bus“
This is the river tubing trip that Pagosa is known for. We shuttle you up the river and you float back on the Cadillac of river tubes. Exit the river near the Visitors Center and Hot Springs Resort and simply walk across Main Street to our shop and catch the next shuttle. You need to be adventurous and a good swimmer to enjoy this trip. When considering taking your young children, please realize that there is always a possibility of flipping out of your tube.
$17 / 2 hours, $29 / full day
The Important Details:
- The shuttle runs every few minutes from 11:00 to 5:00
- The shuttle is a drop-off only, you exit the river right across Main St from our shop
- The trip includes a tube rental and unlimited shuttles
- The float takes :45 to 1:00
- Most folks get two trips in 2 hours
- No reservations needed for groups of less than 15
- NO LATE FEES. If you go over your time, simply upgrade to the full day rate
- life jackets required for kids 12 and under … it’s the law!
- secure footwear better than flip-flops (we rent the best river shoes for tubing)
- sunglass retainers on nice glasses
- lots of sunscreen
- and a sense of adventure!
You will lose your:
- cell phone
- expensive sunglasses
- only set of car keys
- and nice jewelry
…..please don’t take them tubing with you!
Tubing Rentals Available:
River Tubes: (without a shuttle) : $17.00 for 2 hours, $29.00 per full day.
River Boards: (great for surfing in the downtown waves) : $15.00 for 2 hours, $25.00 per full day.
Life Jacket: $5.00
River Shoes: $5.00
For the wintertime alternative to river tubing, check out High Country Tubing Park. They are just 2 miles east of town on your way to Wolf Creek. They have a great groomed hill with multiple lanes and deluxe snow tubes.
What the River Flow Means:
The San Juan River Gauge in Pagosa gives flow in CFS – Cubic Feet per Second
- 250-400 = really high … 40% flip ratio! Lots of fun for prepared thrillseekers
- 150-250 = high … a little rowdy for the smaller youngsters
- 90-150 = medium … perfect flow for just about everyone
- 50-90 = low … still floatable if you stay in the deepest current