Tubing on the San Juan River in downtown Pagosa has become a “don’t miss” late summer activity. We are Pagosa’s tubing headquarters offering rentals and shuttles with our famous “Tubus Maximus” mini-bus. Tubing season opens when the river drops to 400 cfs on the San Juan River Flow Gauge in Pagosa. Below is some basic info about what the flow numbers mean for tubing.
- 50-90 cfs = low … but still just floatable
- 90-150 cfs = medium … perfect flow for everyone
- 150-250 cfs = high … starts to get a little rowdy for youngsters.
- 250-400 = really high … 30% flip ratio! Not advised for kids less than 50 lbs.
The Whitewater Tubing Trip
“Get on the Bus” This is the river tubing trip that Pagosa is known for. We shuttle you up the river and you float back on the Cadillac of river tubes. When you are done, exit the river near the Visitors Center and Hot Springs Resort and simply walk across Main Street to our shop and catch the next shuttle. You need to be adventerous and a good swimmer to enjoy this trip. When considering taking your young children, please realize that there is always a possibility of flipping out of your tube.
$15 / 2 hours, $25 / full day
- The shuttle is a drop-off only
- The trip includes a tube rental and unlimited shuttles
- The shuttle runs from 11:00 to 5:00
- The float takes :45 to 1:00
- Most folks get two trips in 2 hours
- No reservations needed for groups of less than 15.
- life jackets for kids 12 and under … it’s the law!
- secure footwear better than flip-flops
- sunglass retainers on nice glasses
- lots of sunscreen
- and a sense of adventure!
You will lose your:
- expensive sunglasses
- only set of car keys
- and nice jewelry
…..please don’t take them tubing with you!
To breeze through the check-in process, book your trip now, print and fill out the waiver, print your receipt, and bring them with you when you are ready to tube.
River Tubes: (without a shuttle) : $15.00 for 2 hours, $25.00 per full day. (Full Day = until 6:00)
River Boards: (great for surfing in the downtown waves) : $15.00 for 2 hours, $25.00 per full day.
Life Jacket: $5.00
River Shoes: $5.00
For the wintertime alternative to river tubing, check out High Country Tubing Park. They are just 2 miles east of town on your way to Wolf Creek. They have a great groomed hill with multiple lanes and deluxe snow tubes.